Tuesday, January 29, 2008

On Working and Racing

Juggling a full class schedule in high school while racing on the varsity cross country team always seemed like a tough act back then. Practice would go until 6 or 6:30 and by the time I got home and ate dinner I'd have just enough time to squeeze in a little homework before heading to bed.

Then college. I took a full load at Duke each semester so that I could graduate early (why didn't someone talk me out of that?) while also trying to race competitively in road races. It seemed like a lot then too, but I realize now how I didn't appreciate the flexibility of school work. I could go for a run in the middle of the afternoon, or whenever I felt like if for that matter. It was great.

Maybe the grass is just greener when I look back on the good ol' days. Now I work 9-5 and am happy if I get to the gym before 6:00 on most days. Squeezing in the workout isn't nearly as easy as it used to be, but training is progressive so I force myself to go. And usually once I get to the gym and start my workout I can muster up a little more energy than I thought I had and put in a good, solid workout. So I train 4 weekdays every week and do my long workouts on the weekend. The only way to do it though is to commit the time to training and put in every workout that you or your coach lays out. It's possible, I promise...although it might not always be easy.

No comments: